Pro Netbeans IDE 6 Rich Client Platform Edition : New from Apress
Pro NetBeans IDE 6 Rich Client Platform Edition is the second Apress book to cover the agile, open source NetBeans IDE platform. The authors of this book are Adam Myatt with Brian Leonard and Geertjan Wielenga.
According to Apress, the focus of this book is on enabling you to rapidly develop Java front ends of applications using API buttons, functions, and features mostly based in the Java SE 6 platform (instead of Java EE 5 based NetBeans 5.5 IDEa different platform/IDE altogether that published earlier in 2007):
* Enables you to click and use any of the Java Swing and other desktop Java graphical user interface (GUI) APIs available in Java SE 6 or prior
* Covers working with rich client platform features available in NetBeans for building web based application front ends
* Shows you the web tier development plug-ins available including JSF, Struts Action Framework 2.0, and JRuby for bringing the Ruby on Rails feature set to Java via NetBeans
For building back end, server side Java applications, pick up Pro NetBeans IDE 5.5 Enterprise Edition, which is based on APIs found in the Java EE 5.
What you’ll learn
* Easily install and set up your NetBeans IDE platform environment, and organize your projects.
* Use the NetBeans source editor, code compiler, refactoring, software development, profiler, collaboration, database, and debugger tools.
* Develop your Java Swing application for your desktop from start to finish.
* Deploy your Java Swing or other GUI application using Java Web Start features embedded in NetBeans.
* Build rich client applications using NetBeans plug in module tools/features from start to finish.
* Extend your NetBeans IDE wish list to building Struts 2 and even JRuby (Ruby on Rails) based Java web application front ends.
Here are some interesting links:
2. Javalobby interview with Adam Myatt
3. Javalobby review of Pro NetBeans IDE 5.5 Enterprise Edition
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)